1/5 Photos of Potato Bread (using instant potato and dry milk)
3 hrs 40 mins
This is a measured variation of a Nanny Stackhouse recipe. She made 9-12 loaves of this delicious bread every Saturday to give away to family and friends. The Monticello Grange sure misses her cooking!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix potato flakes and water to make 2/3 c.
- 2mashed potato Place in a large bowl.
- 3Stir in next four ingredients (hot water, shortening, salt and sugar) Set aside to cool.
- 4Stir yeast into ½ c.lukewarm water.
- 5When potato mixture is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast mixture.
- 6Add dry milk/flour mixture to potato mixture and beat well.
- 7Add 2 cups of flour beat until smooth.
- 8Add 2 more c. flour.
- 9Beat until smooth.
- 10Place about 1 c. of flour on your bread board.
- 11Turn out dough on floured board and knead for 5 minutes.
- 12Add more flour as needed.
- 13Oil a bowl and place kneaded dough in it.
- 14Brush top of dough with a bit more oil.
- 15Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled.
- 16Punch down and halve dough.
- 17Knead each half on floured board and form into two (three) loaf shapes.
- 18Grease two 5x9 loaf pans (or 3- 4x9 pans) Place dough in pans.
- 19Brush tops with oil.
- 20Let rise until doubled.
- 21Preheat oven to 400F Bake for 30-40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato Bread (using instant potato and dry milk)
Serving Size: 1 (2027 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2652.2
- Calories from Fat 551
- Total Fat 61.2 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 3765.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 446.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.4 g
- Sugars 51.3 g
- Protein 72.6 g