Recipe by CookbookCarrie
I Love this soup, and it's healthy and low in points. A great lunch or dinner with a salad. 4 Pts. per 1 1/2 C Serving - makes about 4 servings
Top Review by DuChick
Calling all potato soup lovers...this is a terrific recipe! Especially, if you want to cut calories and fat w/o losing any taste, put this on your try list. I used reduced-fat bacon, added some ground pepper and topped each serving with a sprinkling of 2% shredded cheddar (this would increase pt. value). Served with a turkey panini on the side, we had a most enjoyable lunch! Thanks Carrie!
- 32 ounces baked russet potatoes, about 4 large
- 4 slices low-sodium bacon
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Coarsely chop the baked potatoes and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a soup pot until crisp and set aside, leave 1 teaspoons drippings in the pan.
- Add 1/2 the scallions & garlic to drippings and sautee until soft.
- Add broth, salt, cayenne, and chopped potatoes, mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pan w/ a wooden spoon or w/ a potato masher.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 2-3 moremonites.
- Add in half-and-half and parsley, return to simmer.
- Serve w/ remaining green onions & crumbled bacon on top.