Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A simple dish with an elegant presentation! It can be assembled in advance & popped into the oven in the morning.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled & sliced very thin
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- salt & pepper
- 9 ounces camembert cheese, chopped (including rind)
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus extra for greasing pan
- Liberally butter a 9 inch non stick baking dish& line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Butter the parchment also.
- Place potatoes in salted water, bring to a boil& cook until tender- about 8 minutes.
- Drain& set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a saute pan over medium high heat until browned- or under the broiler (my preference).
- Blot excess fat from bacon with a paper towel, cut into 1 inch pieces& set aside.
- Cook the onions in a small amount of bacon fat until they begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add to the bacon pieces& stir the mixture.
- Evenly layer 1/3 of the potatoes in the prepared baking dish.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Scatter 1/2 the bacon/onion mixture& 1/2 the cheese on top.
- Repeat these layers and finish with the last 1/3 of the potatoes.
- Season to taste and dot with a few pieces of butter.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove from the oven& let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cover with a piece of foil or parchment and, using your hand, gently compress the pie so it will hold together better.
- Run a thin spatula or knife around the edges& a little of the pan bottom to loosen the potatoes from the edge.
- Invert onto a serving platter, gently remove the parchment and cut into wedges or slices.
although this didn't hold together as well as i expected the flavors were a delicious combination. i loved the cheese and bacon in this dish. very tasty side dish.