Sweet Potato Flan
Flan is so good! A thick custard, rich and sweet! Perfect for the end of a great holiday meal! Prep time includes 1 hr. for cooking sweet potatoes or you can use canned mashed sweet potato!
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (1 3/4 pounds, 1 cup canned mashed sweet potatoes may be substituted for sweet potatoes)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk
- 10 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- toasted coconut, for garnish
- Pierce sweet potatoes several times with a fork; place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375* for 1 hour or until done; cool to touch.
- Peel sweet potatoes, and mash.
- Set aside 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes; reserve any remaining sweet potatoes for another use.
- Sprinkle sugar in a 10-inch round cakepan; place over medium heat, and cook, shaking pan constantly, until sugar melts and turns a light golden brown.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- (Melted sugar may crack slightly as it cools).
- Combine half of sweet potatoes, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and half of next 6 ingredients in container of an electric blender; blend until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure; add to bowl, stirring well with a wire whisk.
- Pour mixture over caramelized sugar in cakepan; cover with aluminum foil, and place in a larger shallow pan.
- Add hot water to larger pan to depth of 1/2 inch.
- Bake at 325* for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cakepan from water, and uncover; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Loosen edges of flan from pan with a small knife; invert onto a serving plate.
- Garnish, if desired, with toasted coconut.
- Yield: 1 (10-inch) flan.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Oh my! Can't believe I forgot to come back and rate this after making it for last years (2007) Thanksgiving Dinner!! What a fabulous dish...it was loved and raved about by all that attended. This was my first flan and it was surprisingly easy and met all expectations in its delightful taste and texture. Deserves more than 5 stars in my mind.