1 hr 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 3 lbs medium red potatoes or 3 lbs yellow potatoes, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup bacon fat or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 lb rye bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and dried overnight
- 1 -1 1/2 cup turkey broth or 1 -1 1/2 cup chicken broth, as needed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2Place the bacon strips in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake in the upper third of the oven until crisp and browned, 10-15 minutes.
- 3Some strips of bacon will cook more quickly than others, so remove them as they crisp and drain on paper towels.
- 4Crumble when cool.
- 5As the bacon fat renders and accumulates in the baking sheet, pour it off into a small heatproof bowl; reserve ¼ cup.
- 6Place potatoes in a big pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil, then add salt to taste; cook until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife, 15-20 minutes.
- 7Drain, rinse under cold water, and cool until easy to handle; cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 8In a big skillet, heat the reserved bacon fat or the oil over medium heat.
- 9Add in the celery; cook/stir often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 10Add the scallions and caraway seed; cook/stir occasionally, until the celery is beginning to brown, about 5 more minutes.
- 11Scrape the celery mixture into a big bowl; add in the bread cubes, cubed potatoes, and crumbled bacon; toss to mix.
- 12Gradually stir in about 1 cup broth until the stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- 13Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered casserole dish, drizzle with ½ cup broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato, Bacon, and Rye Bread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (2545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.4
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 30.8 mg
- Sodium 735.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 12.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: