Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by dianegrapegrower
I can't award stars, because I had to change the recipe too dramatically. Subbed onions for scallions, and increased the amount to 1-1/2 cups chopped onion. Also added garlic, thyme, rosemary, and sage. With the added onions and herbs, this was very tasty.
- 1 lb sliced bacon
- 3 lbs medium red potatoes or 3 lbs yellow potatoes, scrubbed
- 1⁄4 cup bacon fat or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 lb rye bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and dried overnight
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup turkey broth or 1 -1 1⁄2 cup chicken broth, as needed
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place the bacon strips in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet; bake in the upper third of the oven until crisp and browned, 10-15 minutes.
- Some strips of bacon will cook more quickly than others, so remove them as they crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Crumble when cool.
- As the bacon fat renders and accumulates in the baking sheet, pour it off into a small heatproof bowl; reserve ¼ cup.
- Place potatoes in a big pot and add enough cold water to cover by 2 inches; bring to a boil, then add salt to taste; cook until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife, 15-20 minutes.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, and cool until easy to handle; cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In a big skillet, heat the reserved bacon fat or the oil over medium heat.
- Add in the celery; cook/stir often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the scallions and caraway seed; cook/stir occasionally, until the celery is beginning to brown, about 5 more minutes.
- Scrape the celery mixture into a big bowl; add in the bread cubes, cubed potatoes, and crumbled bacon; toss to mix.
- Gradually stir in about 1 cup broth until the stuffing is evenly moistened but not soggy.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer mixture to a lightly buttered casserole dish, drizzle with ½ cup broth, cover, and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 minutes.