Recipe by Alan Leonetti
These are the BEST LATKES (potato and cheese pancakes) that I, Alan Leonetti, have ever tasted, and I was raised on latkes all my life. This recipe was devised by my partner Dean Ramsey. If you have any questions e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
Top Review by Mick's Kitchen
While I would not quite agree that these are the best latkes I've ever had, they are certainly very good and light-years easier than traditional method of peeling and shredding potatoes. Well worth considering for an easy potato pancake option.
- 1 (6 1/4 ounce) package instant mashed potatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup cheese (shredded 4-blend of Monterey Jack, Mild Cheddar, Queso Quesadilla and Asadero)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook instant potatoes in a pot following package instructions. Instead of water, use chicken broth, 4 tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup of milk.
- After potatoes have been whipped, but are still hot, mix in the cheese.
- Allow to cool and blend in the egg.
- If potato mixture is too thick, add a little more butter.
- In a large skillet pour in 1/2 inch of cooking oil (not olive oil). Heat oil until very hot and then with a tablespoon, drop in large globs of the potato mixture.
- When the edges begin to turn a golden brown, then with a spatula, turn the latkes over and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown.