Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
Total comfort food on a cold day. I serve this over spaetzle.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium red cabbage
- 2 tablespoons flour
- In an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in hot oil, cook the roast until it's well browned on all sides.
- Stir in the onions, vinegar, salt, sugar, caraway seeds, pepper and 1/4 cup water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork tender, turning meat occasionally.
- Meanwhile, coarsely shred cabbage, discarding any tough ribs, and set it aside.
- When meat is done, remove it to a large platter and keep it warm.
- Skim off fat from liquid in Dutch oven.
- Add the cabbage to the liquid and over medium-high heat, heat it to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender, stirring often.
- Mix the flour and 1/4 cup water until blended.
- Gradually stir flour mixture into cabbage in Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring gently, until mixture is thickened.
- Spoon the cabbage around the meat on platter and serve.