Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
An impressive dinner party dish.
- 141.74 g shallots, finely chopped
- 2 head garlic, peeled but cloves left whole
- 29.58 ml butter
- 141.74 g pancetta or 141.74 g streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 chicken, about 3lbs
- 118.29 ml brandy
- 295.73 ml white wine
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni, a sprig of thyme, parsley stems and a bay leaf tied together
- 158.51 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml parsley, leaves chopped
- Heat the oven to 300°F Cook the shallots and garlic in a large casserole with 1 tbsp butter until softened. Add the pancetta and cook until the shallots begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large deep frying pan and brown the chicken on all sides, then put it into the casserole, on top of the shallots. Pour the brandy into the hot frying pan and allow to bubble up, stirring and scraping. Put a lighted match to the brandy and stand back while it flames up.
- When the flames have subsided, add the wine and bring to the boil, then pour the liquid over the chicken.
- Add the stock and tuck in the bouquet garni. Cover and cook for 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the casserole, cut into 8 portions and keep warm.
- Simmer the cooking liquor until reduced by two thirds, then add the cream and parsley.
- Return the chicken to the pan to heat through. Serve in deep bowls with mashed potato.