1 hr 40 mins
An impressive dinner party dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces shallots, finely chopped
- 2 heads garlic, peeled but cloves left whole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces pancetta or 5 ounces streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 1 chicken, about 3lbs
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 1/4 cups white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni, a sprig of thyme, parsley stems and a bay leaf tied together
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley, leaves chopped
- 1Heat the oven to 300°F Cook the shallots and garlic in a large casserole with 1 tbsp butter until softened. Add the pancetta and cook until the shallots begin to caramelize.
- 2Meanwhile, melt 1 tbsp of butter in a large deep frying pan and brown the chicken on all sides, then put it into the casserole, on top of the shallots. Pour the brandy into the hot frying pan and allow to bubble up, stirring and scraping. Put a lighted match to the brandy and stand back while it flames up.
- 3When the flames have subsided, add the wine and bring to the boil, then pour the liquid over the chicken.
- 4Add the stock and tuck in the bouquet garni. Cover and cook for 1 hour, or until cooked through.
- 5Remove the chicken from the casserole, cut into 8 portions and keep warm.
- 6Simmer the cooking liquor until reduced by two thirds, then add the cream and parsley.
- 7Return the chicken to the pan to heat through. Serve in deep bowls with mashed potato.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pot Roast Chicken in Garlic, White Wine & Parsley
Serving Size: 1 (449 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 939.4
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.1 g
- Cholesterol 245.7 mg
- Sodium 402.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 49.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: