Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 16 mins
This is a great tasting pot roast with a slightly italian bent...not enough to be called italian, but the influence is there. There are no cream of something soups in it, and everything is fresh. It is like the pot roast your Mom made for Sunday dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs bottom round beef roast or 4 lbs chuck
- 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chianti wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch lengths
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart oven ready casserole or dutch oven over medium heat for 1 minute. Using paper towels, blot the roast dry, then add it to the casserole/dutch oven. Brown on all sides. This takes about 10 minutes. Remove the roast and set aside.
- Skim all but 2 tbsp of the drippings from the pot, then add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Return the roast to the pot, and add the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and transfer the dutch oven to the oven. Bake for 2 1/2 hours, turning the roast every 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and celery, cover and bake for 15 minutes. Add the zucchini, cover, and bake until the meat and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Transfer the meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Skim any fat from the drippings, then serve over the pot roast.
WOW! This pot roast was totally delicious! The family was unhappy that I only cooked a small roast and there was very little leftovers. It was the best pot roast I have ever had! True comfort food at its best!
First time making pot roast, so I followed the recipe carefully and it TOTALLY WORKED! I will definitely make this again! It was a huge hit with my crowd!
This is delicious pot roast! It's very easy and I love the Italian flavor. Made for Gimme 5 tag.