Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a very fast and easy dish, perfect in cold weather, as it warms you up with temperature and spice. Posole is traditionally eaten in New Mexico on Christmas Eve.
- 1 (40 ounce) can mexican-style hominy
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) jars diced tomatoes
- 1 lb pork stew meat
- 1 large onion, chopped coarse
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can red chili sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 dried red pepper
- Brown the pork in a skillet with just a little vegetable oil before adding.
- Do not drain the hominy or the tomatoes. Put all the ingredients into the crock pot and set it on low and let it cook for at least 6 hours. Do not lift the lid! (This dish is even better the next day).
- I serve this soup/stew with homemade tortilla chips, a dollop of plain yogurt, and chopped fresh cilantro.