Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was found in The Good Cook Poultry The cookbook editors credit the recipe to Shirley Sarvis, A Taste of Portugal.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 3 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 6 ounces smoked ham, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2 inch squares (lean)
- 8 small boiling onions
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced (or crushed)
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons tawny port or 6 tablespoons white port
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a casserole, combine tomatoes, ham, onions, mustard, garlic, wine and port.
- Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper then arrange on top of tomato mixture in a single layer.
- Dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until chicken is browned and tender.
- Sprinkle with brandy.
- To serve, spoon sauce over chicken.
This was so very good! The smell of it cooking was amazing. I cut my chicken (boneless skinless breast) into bite size pieces and I think next time I will use thigh pieces or tenders. The cooking time was a bit too long for the pieces. Next time I think I would mix together the mustard, wine and port before adding it to the pan and then pour it over the garlic tomatoes and chicken. Also, we loved the flavor of the sauce next time I will make some more in a sauce pan and reduce it down a little bit with some flour and butter to make it a bit thicker. Thank you very much!
Good dish! And such a great aroma! I tried out the crock pot we recently scored at a yard sale (first time using one). using tomatoes and fat little spring onions from the farmers' market. Took a cue from Rita's photo and served it with asparagus and baby red potatoes. Happy diners!
During the hot weather it's nice to be able to make this in the crock-pot & that's just what I did! It was made to take to some neighbors, but I had to do the usual taste-test, & this is something I'd definitely enjoy making the next time we have guests over ~ Loved the flavor combo as baked in, but another time would leave off the final touch, the brandy! Thanks for a very nice keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-3-4 Hit Wonders tag]