Recipe by TxGriffLover
Using the right potatoes makes a tremendous difference in this recipe, so make sure to use Red Bliss potatoes. Adapted from America's Test Kitchens.
Top Review by Yogachef
Delicate flavors with a spicy zing! Big flavors with onion, garlic and the spicy chorizo, with the sweetness in the potato and smoothness of the chicken broth. The colors of the chorizo and the kale were beautiful. Delicious with Portuguese saloio bread and olive oil dip. Can't wait to make and eat again.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 medium)
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, halved lengthwise, and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch pieces (linguica, or smoked kielbasa sausage)
- 1 sprig fresh savory or 1 sprig oregano
- 6 ounces kale, stems removed and leaves cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips (about 4 1/2 packed cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add 3 cups of the broth, potatoes, and 1/2 tsp salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. (At this point, the soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When ready to serve, bring the soup to a simmer and proceed with the recipe.) Remove the pot from the heat and mash the potatoes in the liquid with a potato masher.
- until no large chunks remain and the potatoes thicken the stew slightly.
- Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the remaining 3 cups broth, sausage, and savory and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer to blend the flavors, about 15 minutes.
- Remove and discard the savory. Stir in the kale and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings with salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately, drizzling each portion with olive oil, if desired.