Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the perfect cold-weather soup- hearty and spicy! Serve with some crusty bread and a glass of Merlot- comfort food at its best! Originally from a July 1982 issue of Bon Apetit.If linguica is unavailable, substitute hot Italian, chorizo or other spicy sausage.
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- 12 ounces linguica sausage, diced (portuguese sausage)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (1 lb.)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 celery ribs, including leaves, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, deveined and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, leaves chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- Combine ham hocks and sausage in heavy,large saucepan over medium-high heat and saute 4 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, skimming foam from surface.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Remove ham hocks from soup;discard bones and cut meat into bite-sized pieces, blend into soup.
- Ladle into bowls and serve hot.