1/1 Photo of Portuguese Baked Eggs With Chorizo and Ricotta
Entered for safe-keeping, from Jennifer Olvera for Serious Eats blog. More at http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/02/portuguese-baked-eggs-with-chorizo-and-ricotta-recipe.html. Buy your ricotta at an Italian deli if you can. The sauce is very spicy; if you want to tone it down, remove the seeds and white membrane from the serranos or use a single jalapeno (also with seeds removed). The sauce may be made up to 1 day in advance; store it in the refrigerator, but be sure to warm it before proceeding with the recipe. These are perfect for brunch or for a dinner with crusty bread and a crisp green salad in a acidic vinaigrette.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup spanish chorizo, finely diced
- 3 red bell peppers or 2 cups red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano peppers or 2 tablespoons serrano peppers, minced
- 1 medium onions or 1 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves or 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 14 1/2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
EGGS AND CHEESE
- 1Adjust rack to lower-middle position. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 3Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add chorizo and cook, stirring, until fat is rendered, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add bell peppers and serrano peppers, onion, and garlic. Continue cooking, stirring often, until vegetables soften, 5-7 minutes.
- 5Add chili powder, paprika, thyme, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 6Add tomatoes and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes.
- 8Discard thyme and bay leaves. This can be covered and refrigerated up to 1 day in advance, but make sure sauce is warmed up before proceeding to EGGS AND CHEESE steps.
- 9EGGS AND CHEESE.
- 10Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray and spread pepper sauce evenly in the dish, leaving 6 indentations to cradle the eggs.
- 11Evenly top divots with ricotta and crack an egg on top of each one.
- 12Sprinkle cheddar and Parmesan cheeses on top. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to preheated 375-degrees-F oven to cook until eggs are just barely set and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- 13Remove from oven and serve immediately with bread.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Portuguese Baked Eggs With Chorizo and Ricotta
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 803.7
- Calories from Fat 229
- Total Fat 25.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 230.3 mg
- Sodium 1176.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 105.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced fire-roasted tomatoes