Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very unique Portuguese Salt Cod fish dish. Very popular in the Azores Islands of Portugal. Cooked for many occasions and well enjoyed. To save yourself time you can prepare the potatoes ahead of time and let them soak in water untill you are ready to start your dish. Also please note, the Cod must be soaked in water overnight. However if you miss this step you can boil the Cod in a pot of water and keep changing the water a few times. This is to remove the salt from the Cod. Use Boneless Salted Cod (not frozen). You can find this in many Super Markets. I have mentioned below that you can also use a Food Processor and shred the potatoes and onion for ease. You can also cheat by using a family size bag of shoestring french fries ;) Prep time does not include soaking of the Cod.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs dried salt cod fish
- 8 russet potatoes, peeled, cut into matchstick pieces (I am basing the serving by 2 potatoes per person)
- olive oil, divided
- 3 medium size onions, cut in half, then sliced thinly (like half moon slices)
- 4 bay leaves
- 6 -8 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- green olives, or
- black olives
- salt and black pepper (according to taste)
- lemon wedge
- you can use a food processor to shred the potatoes and onions. you can also cheat by using a family French fries
- Note: Soak Cod fish in water overnight.
- Next day change water and place Cod in a pot with enough water to cover it. Boil for about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool. Once Cod has cooled, flake it.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to non stick pan and fry potatoes in batches each time using another tbsp of olive oil if necessary.
- Place paper towel on the bottom of a glass dish safe for the oven and keep fries warm in the oven.
- Once you are done with the potatoes add 1 tbsp of olive oil to pan and add the bay leaf. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes. remove bay leafs from pan (discard).
- add garlic, onions (pepper flakes if using) to the pan and saute until onions begin to soften.
- add the parsley and let saute a bit.
- add flaked Cod and keep tossing until Cod gets warm.
- add the eggs, keep stirring so not to let the eggs stick to pan. this mixture will start to look like scrambled eggs.
- Once you are done with your Cod and eggs mixture.
- Combine fries with Cod mixture.
- add olives if using.
- taste, add salt and black pepper if needed.
- when serving squeeze lemon juice from a slice of lemon ontop.
- add dash of tabsco sauce if using.
Good Evening. From Portugal with care
First choose dried potatoes = Red potatoes or else the recipe gets too moist (one good thing to do is peal, cut and leave in water with a bit salt so they will loose that extra starch and get even more dried)
Second and off course this is optional (everyone gets what he likes) is cutting the potatoes in really thin Sticks so they wont get mushy
Third: I Like to Boil Codfish whenever i want to use it. Codfish its about its freshness and even more about its capability of absorving any special ingredient that you want to use! that means you put a cooking pan with aromatics in the water, bring it to boil and (record this) when the waters begins to boil it means the Codfish its ready to use = maximum 5 minutes Remember that you cant cook it too much since you will cook it again later
Fourth suggestion is to Drink with a good Rose Wine: extra flavor of berries, balances the smooth and sugary flavor of this recipe
Greetings from a Portuguese Codfish dishes lover!! :)
Hello greetings from Portugal, very good indeed, take it from a real Portuguese. The secret to this receipe is to be very very careful Not to over cook the eggs they must be moist in texture. Do not be afraid to add a little more parsley, it goes fantastic with this dish. Great receipe well done!!!!!!!!!!!