Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From EatingWell Magazine December 2005/January 2006
- 9.85 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed (optional)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml fresh oregano, minced or 9.85 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml vegetable broth
- 14.79 ml reduced sodium soy sauce
- 85.04 g reduced-fat provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 whole grain buns, split and toasted
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low; sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to coat. Stir in broth and soy sauce; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each toasted bun and serve immediately.
Really quick, tasty and satisfying. I must admit, I buttered the bun. I think I might add just a few drops of balsamic vinegar to brighten up next time or maybe a little garlic.Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is really good. I didn't have the soy sauce and it was still great. I also sliced the mushrooms. Everyone loved it.
This is AMAZING!!!!!!! I didn't use the broth or flour. This was quick and easy.And it tastes incredible! I'm fixing it again for lunch tomorrow!