1 hr 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 -1 1/4 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and sliced into thin strips
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, quartered lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
Corn Bread Topping
- 1The filling: position oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 450°.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over med-high heat until smoking.
- 3Add in the pork in a single layer and cook without stirring until browned on one side, about 1 minute.
- 4Stir and continue to cook for 1 minute longer; transfer the pork to a bowl; set aside.
- 5Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and chorizo to the skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 6Stir in the carrots, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes.
- 7Stir in the garlic and chipotles; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- 8Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and sugar; bring to a simmer.
- 9Decrease heat to med-low and cook until the liquid has thickened slightly and the mixture measures about 5 cups, about 10 minutes.
- 10Off the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste; stir in the cooked pork and oregano; set aside while preparing the topping.
- 11The corn bread topping: whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a big bowl.
- 12In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together; stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until uniform, then stir in the butter until just combined.
- 13Smooth the filling into an even layer in the skillet.
- 14Dollop the cornbread topping evenly over the filling, then spread it into an even layer, covering the filling completely.
- 15Bake the pie until the topping is golden and has baked through completely in the center, 15-20 minutes.
- 16Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pork Tinga Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (590 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 863.6
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 202.3 mg
- Sodium 1702.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 48.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: