Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Pork Tinga Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed and sliced into thin strips
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, quartered lengthwise and then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch thick
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (or pressed)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh oregano
Corn Bread Topping
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- The filling: position oven rack to the middle position; preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet over med-high heat until smoking.
- Add in the pork in a single layer and cook without stirring until browned on one side, about 1 minute.
- Stir and continue to cook for 1 minute longer; transfer the pork to a bowl; set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and chorizo to the skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, onion, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and chipotles; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and sugar; bring to a simmer.
- Decrease heat to med-low and cook until the liquid has thickened slightly and the mixture measures about 5 cups, about 10 minutes.
- Off the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste; stir in the cooked pork and oregano; set aside while preparing the topping.
- The corn bread topping: whisk the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a big bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk and egg together; stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture until uniform, then stir in the butter until just combined.
- Smooth the filling into an even layer in the skillet.
- Dollop the cornbread topping evenly over the filling, then spread it into an even layer, covering the filling completely.
- Bake the pie until the topping is golden and has baked through completely in the center, 15-20 minutes.
- Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving.