Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Posted in the Rocky Mountain News Wednesday Spotlight Section.
- 2 lbs boneless pork (cut into 1 1/2 inch strips or cubes)
- 10 skewers, 8 inch soaked in water for at least 1 hour
- 3 unpeeled lemons, cut into small wedges
- 2 unpeeled oranges, cut into small wedges
- 6 pita bread rounds, sliced into half moons
- shredded iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, Plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 or 3 large lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Make the marinade:.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, juices, red pepper flakes, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add the pork and stir to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill.
- Thread the skewers with 3 or 4 pieces of marinated pork, alternating with wedges of lemon and orange.
- Reserve the marinade for basting.
- To grill the pork:.
- Place skewers on an area of the grill with no direct flame.
- Brush with the reserved marinade during the grilling, until the meat is browned on the outside but still slightly pink on the inside, 4 to 5 minutes per side, or to desired doneness.
- Optional oven broil:.
- Set and oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler, preheat broiler.
- Put skewers on a highly oiled baking sheet and place under broiler.
- After 3 1/2 minutes, turn the skewers over and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Broil for another 3 1/2 minutes, brush again with the marinade, and broil for 1 to 20 minutes more or until meat is browned on the outside but still slightly pink inside, or to desired doneness.
- Serve immediately in pita pockets topped with shredded lettuce and Avocado Tzatziki Sauce (Recipe #252285).
- Threading the skewers with chunks of lemon and orange with their peels still on, add flavor that compliments the pork and you can squeeze the juice from the grilled fruit over the meat.
- Thread other fruit on the skewers if you like, try cherry tomatoes or kumquats.
Terrific combination of flavors. The citrus really enhances the pork. Served with the suggested recipe 252407. For PAC.