Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
One word...YUM! You want to use pork roll for these, not ham...pork roll wasn't a recognized ingredient. (Taylor, Trenton, Case or store brand pork roll will work.)
- 2 (6 ounce) boxestaylor ham (pork roll, thin sliced)
- 6 slices American cheese
- 6 hamburger buns or 6 kaiser rolls
- Make four little cuts around the edges of each slice of pork roll so it doesn't curl when you cook it.
- Fry pork roll in skillet over medium heat until brown. (You will have 12 pieces total, so you will have to do this in batches.)
- Flip over after a minute or two to brown other side.
- Place a slice of cheese on 6 of the pork roll slices and cover pan until cheese is melted.
- Place one cheeseless piece of porkroll on each roll and top with a cheesed piece of porkroll.
- Close up the roll and enjoy!
Unless you're from New Jersey or Pennsylvania, you probably won't know what pork roll is. There's really no way to describe how delicious pork roll is but it's a cross between bologna and ham. My nephews, who live in California, tried it for the first time when they visited us last year. Since then, they can't get enough of it and I ship it to them every few months. They are on a mission to spread the word on how delicious pork roll is. This recipe is a typical way to eat it but it's also great on a hard roll, on an English muffin with egg and cheese, or simply served with eggs. Just "google" Taylor Ham and pork roll together and you'll see how to order it. You won't regret it!!!