Recipe by ladygiggles67
A different kind of chili that's great for game day!
Top Review by Kynd
DELICIOUS! I cut the pork into 1 inch chunks... 2 inch just seemed too large. I reduced the honey & brown sugar by half, after reading reviews that said this recipe was too sweet. Rather than using 2 red bell peppers, I used 1 small green, 1 small red & 1 small yellow bell pepper. I'll definitely be making this chili often... the balance of flavors was awesome and the pork was so tender!
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into 2-inch cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup black coffee
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup sour cream, for serving
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded, for serving
- 1 (4 ounce) can jalapenos, sliced, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 4 tablespoons of the oil into a large, heavy bottomed stockpot and place over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Season the pork with a dash of salt and pepper and brown it in batches, 3 to 5 minutes per batch. Set aside the browned pork.
- Pour the remaining oil into the pot and add the onion, garlic, bell pepper and jalapenos. Season the veggies with the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and cilantro. Sweat the vegetable mixture over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the pork back to the pot along with the tomatoes, honey, coffee, bourbon. Add the beans, stir well, bring up to a simmer and then lower the heat to the lowest setting.
- Let simmer 2 to 3 hours, until the pork is juicy and buttery soft. Serve directly from the stovetop with side bowls of sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and shredded cheddar.