Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Skillet-Seared chops, smothered with onion, left alone to simmer until perfect tenderness. Super easy dinner. By Southern Living Homestyle Cooking.
- 6 boneless center cut pork chops
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Cook pork chops in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add Onions, and remaining ingredients to skillet.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
I had loin chops on hand and found that braising in the liquid helped to really keep them moist and juicy. The onions had an excellent flavor with the cider vinegar and brown sugar. This recipe will be repeated, as the prep is so easy and produces a lot of flavor.
This turned out great! I cut up 4 small boneless pork chops to make the cooking quicker. I added a packet of chicken OXO and some Rosemary (I love it with pork). The onions became soft and flavourful, almost like a thick sauce. I served it with steamed cauliflower and pan-fried nugget potatoes. There were no leftovers!!
This made a quick and tasty supper. I used two bone-in rib chops one medium onion and all the water/sugar/vinegar. I will probably increase the liquid next time, as I really had nothing left, and I do like a bit of pan juices. But the taste was very good. Served with a simple saffron rice and chopped salad.