Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A quick an easy soup to make on a busy day using canned pork and beans and leftover cooked ham. Substitute crispy well-drained bacon bits or other cooked meat for the ham if you like. Use any small macaroni you have on hand, and adjust the seasonings to your taste. Serve with thick crusty bread and butter, either plain or spread with garlic butter All-Purpose Herbed Butter and toasted under the broiler.
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef broth, canned
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup elbow macaroni, raw
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- Combine beef broth, cooked ham or other cooked meat, onion, carrot, celery, thyme and oregano in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in raw macaroni.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender.
- Add pork and beans and heat thoroughly.
- Add additional liquid if necessary. (I use the water drained from boiling potatoes for making soups, gravies, sauces or use canned broth).
I love bean soups but must admit I'd never have thought to use a can of pork & beans, but it does work beautifully, especially with the added ham! Pretty much followed the recipe right on down & I now have another great recipe for soup for the coming cool months! Thanks for sharing this one! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This was much better than I thought it would be!! Unique idea. I used half a pouch of french onion soup mix instead of broth bc that is all I had. I tasted it as written and thought it was a little flat, so added half a can of diced tomatoes and red pepper flakes to take it where it needed to be... This is one I will remember when I don't want to go to the store.
A nice, hearty soup with the addition of the pasta and we liked the pork & bean flavor. I used John Morrell 96% Fat Free Ham Cubes and also added salt and pepper. My macaroni was tender in 10 minutes.