Recipe by Mairghread
This is a recipe I found in the newspaper a gadzillion years ago and for the heck of it decided to make it little knowing that my family would love it as much as they did. I like to serve it with something simple like bulgar wheat pilaf and a salad.
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 4 tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pastry dough and line a 9 inch pie plate (I make lousy pie dough so I buy a deep dish pie shell ready made).
- Combine the apples, pork, thyme, sugar, sage, salt and pepper and place the mixture in pie shell. Dot with butter.
- Roll out remaining dough and place on top, crimping the edges. Make several slits in the top and brush the top with egg-milk mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400F oven for one hour. Serve at room temperature.