Recipe by Debber
Monday is "muffins for breakfast" at our house, so we've tried lots of recipes! This one is at the top of the "Keepers" list. Dipping the muffin tops in butter and then sugar gives them a finished (and tasty) appearance.
Top Review by kitchenslave03
Excellent and easy!!! The only change I made was to up the sugar in the muffins to about 3/4 c. The butter and sugar on top really made these special. Thanks for posting-will make again!
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease or paper 12 muffin cups.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center.
- In a large measuring cup, combine milk, oil, egg and almond, beating well. Add to flour mixture all at once, stirring only until moistened (batter will have a few lumps).
- Divide between muffin cups, about two-thirds full.
- Bake at 400 for 12-14 minutes (tops are golden brown). Cool for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Put sugar in another small bowl.
- Dip tops into melted buter, then into sugar to coat. Cool for a few more minutes (if the hungry mungers aren't clamoring too loudly!).
- OPTION: Add 1/4-1/2 cup chopped almonds to the dry ingredients after sifting, blend well.
- SUBSTITUTION: Try lemon flavoring instead of the almond. Ymmmm-good! And a bit of lemon zest with the sugar topping. Even better.