Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
If I would need to choose one cake in the whole world it would be poppy seed cake. You might have difficulties finding ground poppy seed in your country as it is forbidden in some as it is said to be addictive. This is a fact in my country of emigration so please think of me when you have your helping on this wonderful cake! NOTE: Semolina is wheat flour
- Preheat oven at 200°celcius.
- Mix milk, poppy seeds, semolina, the egg, jam, cinnamon and baking powder in a bowl and stir until completely mixed.
- Grind some lemon peel into the dough.
- Butter the baking tray (any form will do but I like to have it in a long one or a Gugelhupf one) and put the dough mixture in it.
- Bake the cake for about 45 minutes.
- Check on a needle if it is ready.
- You can also use orange marmalade--that works great as well.
- If you use sugar-free jam, this cake is sugar-gluten-and all but happiness free!
I only used 1/4 cup of poppy seeds as I really hadn't noticed the 1 cup called for when I selected this recipe for PAC. I also had to sub red plum jam. The cake was okay, but I am sure not what the chef intended. I did find that it was sweet enough and loved the cinnamon. I hope I can find the correct ingredients so I can try it as written. Reviewed for Fall PAC '07.