Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A delicious offering from an old Family Circle cookbook.
- 1 cup poppy seed
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine (not spread or tub product)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- frosting (Lemon Butter Cream Lemon Buttercream Frosting)
- Greast two 9 x 9 inch baking pans and dust lightly with flour.
- Combine poppy seeds and 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan.
- Heat to boiling, taking care that the milk doesn't scorch.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper; reserve.
- Beat egg whites until foamy and double in volume; beat in 1/2 cup of sugar one tablespoon at a time, until soft peaks form; reserve.
- Beat butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl of mixer at high speed for three minutes; blend in poppy seed mixture.
- Stir in sifted flour mixture alternately with the remaining 3/4 cup of milk and vanilla, beating after each addition until batter is smooth.
- Fold meringue into batter until no streaks of white remain; pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until center springs back when lightly pressed.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks for ten minutes; loosen around edges with a knife and turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Put layers together with Lemon Butter Cream Frosting; frost sides and top with remaining frosting.