A simple roll recipe from the Queen of British TV cooks Delia Smith.This recipe produces lovely rich buttery rolls that are quite delicious. Cooking time includes rising time.
- Place the first six ingredients into your machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Set to dough and start.
- When the dough is ready, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead and shape it into a rough 8" square.
- Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the seeds. Take a sharp knife and cut the dough into 16 squares (of course you could shape by hand!).
- Transfer the rolls to a baking tray and leave them for 30 minutes to rise.
- Preheat the oven to Gas 5/375°F/190°C.
- After the 30 minutes is up, bake the rolls for 25-30 minutes.
For those of you in America, I used 4 cups of flour, and 1 stick of butter. These rolls were incredibly soft and rose very well! I didn't get the buttery flavor that the other people mentioned though. My husband thought they were a little on the bland side, but he still gobbled them up with his soup. We made them as a side to Cumin Get It Chicken Soup. The next time I make these I might add a little butter extract and a pinch of garlic salt. Thanks Noo!
Perfect rich, tender rolls. I did as some of the other reviewers suggested and waited until the rolls were in the pan before adding the egg wash and seeds. I used 4 cups of flour, and added a couple of extra tablespoons because my dough was very sticky. I enjoyed them with both types of seeds, but they also work with just the sesame. Great recipe. Thanks for posting!
The only change I made was to use black sesame seeds and white sesame seeds. They didn't rise a lot because I guess it was too cold in the kitchen. But they are moist and yummy. Thanks Noo :) Made for PRMR tag game