Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Cooking Light. Tasty!
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 lbs peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/8 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Melt 2 1/2 T butter in a 10-inch cast iron or ovenproof heavy skillet over medium heat.
- (I've found pan size is important here. Otherwise adjust quantities and cooking times.) Arrange a single layer of potato slices, slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern in pan, sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt mixture.
- Drizzle 1/2 tsp melted butter over potatoes.
- Repeat layers 5 times, ending with butter; press firmly to pack.
- (I press firmly to pack before adding the last of the butter.) Cover and bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
- Loosen edges of potatoes with a spatula.
- Place a plate upside down on top of pan, invert potatoes onto plate.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
i have made these a couple of times and they are absolutely delicious! my family loves this recipe. thanks for reminding me of this great one from cooking light magazine! nancy
Really good and easy. Might add some fresh garlic next time, maybe even a little cheese just before taking out of the oven. Could add bell or banana peppers (had them growing in my garden and spaced that out....next time) Thanks for sharing!
Simple, easy and delicious! Not to mention alot healthier than many other versions. This is also good breakfast potatoes, and frees up your stove for other dishes. I sometimes add paprika for a little color and flavor.