Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Light and fairly quick recipe for the grill, although you do have to factor in some marinating time. The version I came across originally called for seitan chunks, (found on http://www.wailana.com). Prep time doesn't include marinating.
- 1 (350 g) package firm tofu, cut into large cubes (not silken)
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (fresh best)
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed (about same size as tofu)
- bamboo skewer
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (try 4 or 5 first, adjust to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (fresh or canned)
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced (or use garlic powder)
- Gently press out as much water from your tofu as possible. I do this by placing the block of tofu in a towel and leaving a weight on top to press down on it for about 10 minutes (can of beans on a plate works well). Pat dry.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil and stir well - the sugar should be dissolved. Simmer for about 10 minutes, you want the sauce to be quite thick, but if it's too thick you can add a bit of water. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble the kebabs, alternating pieces of seitan, pineapple, and bell pepper on the skewers, leaving space at the base for holding the skewer. You should be able to fill 6 skewers.
- Pour the cooled marinade over the skewers, rolling around or using a brush to coat every piece. Leave to marinade for about an hour, or better even longer if you have the time. Great if you can do this prep the day before.
- Grilling - remove the skewers from the marinade and place them a preheated barbecue grill. Leave about 3 minutes per side so you get nice grill marks and the veg are nicely browned. Baste as you go with some of the leftover sauce. You could also prepare under the broiler.
- Heat up any remaining sauce and serve alongside the skewers.
WOW, these are soooo yummy! I loved the flavour combination of all the ingredients together and especially the marinade. Mmmmm!
I used less sugar and prepared the skewers on the stove in a skillet, which worked out great. Other than that, I stayed true to your recipe and loved it!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing another keeper with us, magpie!
Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #51 October 2012.
These are great! My ds and I enjoyed these with coleslaw. Thanks for sharing!
These were a hit at dinner tonight. DD and I both loved them. I prepared the kebabs as posted except for using both a red and green pepper. Made for ZWT7.