Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are a childhood favorite of mine. We don't serve these on buns, they're perfect just by themselves!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups soft bread, torn in pieces (torn fairly small)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 medium onions, cut into thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- Combine ground beef, bread pieces, chopped onion, ice water and seasoned salt.
- Shape into 4 patties.
- Sautee onion slices in butter and remove from pan.
- PLace patties in pan, and fry on each side until brown.
- Return onions to skillet.
- Combine remaining ingredients and add to meat.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
What a delicious way to cook burgers! The sauce and onions tasted great and the burgers were so moist and juicy! I used 1 cup panko crumbs, because I didn't have bread. Used 1/2 cup onions and Lawry's Seasoned Salt. Didn't do buns as the intro. suggests and you don't need them, they are great on their own. Thanks for this great recipe!