Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A super tasty dish-always a favorite at Chez Willi
Make and share this Pollo Relleno! recipe from Food.com.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix (2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2-inch sticks
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro or 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8 ounce) jar taco sauce or 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
- fresh cilantro stem (optional)
- Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly into a rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Remove plastic wrap.
- In a bowl combine cornmeal and taco seasoning mix. Place egg in another bowl; beat lightly.
- For each roll, place a spoonful of chili pepper half on a chicken piece. Place a cheese stick atop chili pepper near an edge. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro or parsley, black pepper, and red pepper. Fold in sides; roll up jelly-roll style, starting from edge with cheese .
- Dip rolls into egg and coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Place rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve with taco sauce or salsa. If desired, garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- Goes great with Zatarains Yellow Rice!
My DH always complains when I serve chicken because "it's SO boring." (Not that my cooking is boring, but that he'd rather eat bacon for every meal! LOL!) Regardless of his opinions about chicken, we both LOVED this dish! The chicken had so much flavor and interest. The crust was crispy and flavorful and the inside was creamy with the perfect amount of spice. The other thing I love is that this recipe is really very simple, but looks so impressive! I made as directed and served with rice and a salad. Thanks for the great recipe!!!
Concept is very good. We baked on rack on cookie sheet and it was very crispy. Would try cream cheese and jalepanos in the middle next time as my family likes it spicy! Makes a lot. Would cut in half next time!!!