Recipe by squarehopper
A wonderfully delicious quick to put together recipe! Thanks to Reader's Digest, it made my family happy. They couldn't wait to dig in as the enticing aroma floated throughout our home as the meal cooked. I made it spicier though by changing the Italian sausage to hot and substituting the black pepper with homemade pepper sauce though you could add or substitute with a hot pepper or 2. The person who reviewed this recipe had a bad experience. From what she stated, it seems that the dish was undercooked. If you never had polenta before, when it is done it is a bread like texture - similar to Mexican corn meal tamales. If it is gruel like, then it still needs to cook for more time.
Top Review by kyser367
It never had the consistancy of the "corn meal in tamales" even after I cooked it for 14 hours. I never got to eat it, only taste it. Maybe changing the cook time, amount of liquid, or heat setting would help the dish.
- 7 cups water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 links mild Italian sausage
- 2 (8 ounce) cans chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil water.
- Grease crock pot with one tbs of olive oil.
- Mince onion and garlic.
- Cut red bell pepper into small bite size pieces.
- Cut Italian sausage into bite size pieces.
- Pour in water into crock pot.
- Drain the cans of chick peas and add to crock pot.
- Put in all the rest of the ingredients including the remaining olive oil.
- Stir to mix ingredients.
- Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low.