Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Pogaca is often served hot as an appetizer instead of bread. Hot pogaca filled with sour cream is considered a particularly delicious specialty. Posted in response to request
- Rub fat in 1-1/2 pounds flour; add salt and yeast previously dissolved in a little lukewarm water and mix.
- Knead well, occasionally sprinkling the dough with the remaining flour.
- Dough must be neither stiff nor soft.
- Roll the dough out into the size and shape of a round baking dish.
- Oil or grease and flour the baking dish and place the dough in it.
- Let it rise for 15 minutes.
- Prick with fork, tarting 1 inch from the edge and making circles spaced 1 inch from another.
- If desired, brush with egg yolk.
- Bake in a hot oven (425 F) about 1 hour.
- When it is half done, set the oven on moderate.
- Serve Pogaca cut into a long narrow strip.