Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Source is Moosewood. The raspberry sauce is also good on ice cream, pound cake, pancakes, as a cake glaze, etc. It will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- 1 quart apple juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 12 whole cardamom seeds
- 6 firm ripe peaches
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- To prepare peaches, bring juice, water and spices to a boil. (Make sure your pot is narrow enough so that the liquid will cover the peaches).
- Drop peaches in liquid and poach for 10 minutes.
- Remove the peaches, cover with cold water and slip off the skins.
- Cut each peach in half and remove the stone.
- Place the peaches in a glass or porcelain bowl. (The poaching liquid can be saved and re-used).
- For the sauce, mix the water and sugar in a saucepan, heat to a low boil and simmer until liquid has reduced by 1/2.
- In a blender, puree 1 cup of raspberres and 1/4 cup sugar syrup.(You can store the remaining syrup in a glass jar in the refrigerator.).
- Stir the remaining berries into the puree.
- Serve the peach halves, round side up, in a pool of raspberry sauce and garnish with whipped cream on the side, if you like.
I started out following the recipe as given. The tinkering kicked in and I added a couple of cardamom pods to the poaching liquor. Found a great way to test the doneness of the peaches. Used a bamboo skewer and gently inserted along what was to be the cutting line once the fruit was done. Where I really went of course was with the sauce. Tried the reduced liquid and it was soooo good. Decided I had two choices drink it or use it in lieu of the water in the reaspberry sauce. Chose the later and as a result did not need to use the sugar. The spices in the poaching are very subtle but aromatic. Definitely let the liquid simmer a bit to release the spices before you start poaching. These were very yummy and light and pretty and elegant and yummy. Did I say yummy? Thanks Bunny Mom.