Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe from Real Simple Magazine, Feb 2010. Great fast vegetarian entree! Next time I am going to throw some spinach in with them mushrooms to boost the green factor :)
- 9.85 ml white vinegar
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 4.92 ml olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, each sliced into 4 rounds
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 453.59 g assorted mushroom, sliced
- 14.79 ml fresh thyme leave
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slice country bread, toasted
- 28.34 g parmesan cheese, shaved
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh chives
- Fill a large, deep skillet with 3 inches of water. Add the vinegar and bring to a bare simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the tomatoes with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, thyme, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and tender, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs in 2 batches: Crack each of 4 eggs into separate custard cups, then, one at a time, slide gently into the water in the deep skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes for slightly runny yolks and remove with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining 4 eggs.
- Top the bread with the tomatoes, mushrooms, eggs, and Parmesan. Season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
Fabulous! This is quick and easy to put together, and the presentation and flavor makes it ideal to serve for guests. I used portabella mushrooms and fresh tomatoes from the garden. Wonderful. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 25