Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Before all the fresh garden peppers are gone, try this sauce. Looks marvelous with all the big chunks. Supposed to serve 4 but it’s a whole lot of sauce. (And it freezes well!) Supreme Macaroni Co., 3/92
- 2 lbs red & green peppers, diced, 12 medium
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup jumbo pitted green olives, whole
- 1⁄3 cup jumbo pitted black olives, whole
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed basil
- 6 ounces dry white wine
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) canitalian crushed tomatoes
- Coat bottom of dutch oven with olive and canola oils. Heat over medium flame. Add peppers, onions and reduce flame, Simmer until half soft. Add mushrooms and garlic and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add white wine, cover, and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add green and black olives, seasonings and tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes over medium flame, covered.
- Remove cover and cook for at least 5 minutes over low flame. Add dash of crushed red pepper and 2 slices of butter.