Recipe by *Pixie*
There's a pub we go to that makes their own french fries, and instead of throwing out the skins, they fry them up and bake them with toppings in a pizza pan. They bring them sizzling to your table in the pizza pan with sour cream for dipping. Dare I say that they are better than the french fries? Not a low calorie item but so good. This is my attempt to duplicate them.
Top Review by MarieRynr
These were really very,very good. I did not fry the potato skins, however, I chose to shake them in a plastic bag with a little olive oil and seasonings, and then baked them at 230*C for about 20 minutes,until crispy,then added the toppings. I also used low fat cheddar and instead of sour cream for dipping, I used low fat ranch dressing. Overall a winner!!!
- 3 lbs potatoes, scrubbed
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 green onions, diced
- oil (for deep frying)
- salt (to taste)
- sour cream (for dipping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook the diced bacon until crispy, remove from bacon fat and drain on paper towel.
- Forget everything you were ever taught about peeling potatoes, and peel them with a knife leaving a good bit of potato on the skin.
- Retain center of potatoes for another recipe, or slice them into wedges and cook in the same manner as the potato skins.
- Deep fry the potato skins until crispy and golden.
- Drain thoroughly and salt to taste.
- Spread the potato skins evenly on a pizza pan.
- Sprinkle evenly with the green onions, cheese and bacon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until hot and cheddar is melted.
- Serve hot with sour cream for dipping.