1/5 Photos of Pizza Dough
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Bay Laurel's Note:
This recipe is straight out of Joy of Cooking but with wheat flour. It's good enough to make me feel healthy while eating pizza. If you don't want to make two pizzas, you can wrap the extra dough and freeze for later. Enjoy!
My Private Note
12 inch ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water, about 5 minutes.
- 2In a large bowl, combine flour, olive oil, salt and sugar and add to tthe yeast mixture. Stir well to combine. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or with a dough hook on medium or low speed until dough is smooth and elastic.
- 3Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly covered with olive oil and turn once to coat with oil.
- 4Cover with plastic wrap or a clean cloth and let it rise in a warm place (75º-80º) until doubled in bulk, 1-1 1/2 hours.
- 5Preheat over to 475ºF. Grease two baking sheets and dust with cornmeal; or place a baking stone in the oven and preheat it for 45 minutes.
- 6Punch down the dough and divide it in half. Roll each piece into a ball and let rest, loosely covered with plastic wrap, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- 7One at a time, flatten each ball of dough on a lightly floured work surface into a 12 inch roudn, rolling and stretching the dough. Place each dough circle on a prepared baking sheet, or, if using a baking stone, place them on rimless baking sheets or bakers peels dusted with cornmeal. Lift the edges and pinch to form a lip.
- 8To prevent the filling from making the crust soggy, brush the top of the dough with olive oil.
- 9Use your fingertips to push dents in the surface of the dough, to prevent bubbling, and let rest for about 10 minutes. The pizza is now ready to be topped and baked.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pizza Dough
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 876.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.5 g