Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I've had and used this recipe since junior high Home Economics. It's one of my favorites, and always ready in less than 30 minutes for a quick week night meal that everyone will enjoy! This is also great with Italian Style Ground Turkey, or sausage.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 6 ounces pizza sauce (a little more won't hurt)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 12 hamburger buns
- cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- green peppers (Any additional toppings of your choice) or olives (Any additional toppings of your choice) or pepperoni (Any additional toppings of your choice)
- Brown meat and onions; drain. Add pizza sauce, salt, oregano, thyme and garlic powder; simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place bottom half of hamburger buns onto a baking sheet; spoon mixture on top of each bun.
- Sprinkle with cheese, bake at 350 degrees until cheese is melted.
- Makes 12 sandwiches.
This really didn't go over very well in our household. Not sure why...Made as posted except I cut the recipe in half. I did add green peppers and chopped pepperoni in the meat. This was very easy to prepare. Thanks for letting me try your recipe. :)
I tagged this in Potluck tag. Not sure what happened, but they ended up not tasting like much of anything! I used ground turkey and homemade pizza sauce. My meat was 20 oz., so maybe I should have put more spices in. I'm sure it was something I did...
Yesssss....this is a quick and easy meal that my family of MEN love. Of course what's not too...as this has all the ingredients of pizza..minus the crust. I followed your directions for ingredients, but then baked these open face for 10 minutes on 350. Just like the pizza buns I remember from school days. Thanks Kitty!~ Made for 123Hits.