- Ready In:
24 pizza burgers
- 1 lb hamburger
- 6 ounces luncheon meat, grated (Spam)
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (use Ragu)
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 pound) or 2 cups American cheese (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 12 plain hamburger buns
- 1 cup grated cheese, for topping burgers before baking (I like using a combination of American and Mozzarella cheese)
- Brown hamburger; drain fat. Add grated luncheon meat; saute 1-2 minutes. Stir in rest of ingredients till combined and the cheese has completely melted. Place all hamburger bun halves onto cookie sheets. Add desired amount of sauce onto each bun and sprinkle with the grated American and mozzarella cheeses. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes, or till heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Join The Conversation
Excellent recipe! Instead of spam I used ground up hot dogs or extra ground meat. Plus I toasted the buns or English muffins first then put the stuff on the buns or muffins. I also found it to be easier to added the Ragu sauce to the meat & cheese and mixed it all together, then put everything on the bun. My husband, nieces & nephews LOVED them!!
This recipe is the best way to use up all of your extra buns from your last bbq!! My husband graduated from a school outside of PA so when I first made these for our kids he had no idea that came from a high school cafeteria. Super yummy! Very versatile like pizza itself, can add pizza like toppings for more flavor.
In the late 60’s my mother scored on the recipe for pizza burgers from my elementary school. It is very similar to this recipe but has sage in lieu of the garlic. I’ve been making it for years for my kids and now my grandchildren. They beg for it. I have made it with bologna, hot dogs, or Spam. Spam seems to be the preferred luncheon meat.