Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Great little pizzas. Use this basic recipe and add, remove, modify with your favorite ingredients. Great for low-fat diets when you're craving some 'zaah!
- 2 whole wheat pita bread
- 30 g reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup pasta sauce (Ragu, etc)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 50 g black forest ham (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Spread pasta sauce evenly over both pitas.
- Sprinkle with onion, green pepper and ham.
- Cover with cheese.
- Place on a cookie sheet or baking stone and bake for 10 minutes (or until cheese starts to brown).
My kids loved this. It was easy enough for them to make themselves and they loved that it looked like they each had their own personal pizza. Since we keep kosher, I didn't use the ham, but the pizza was good.
Devon S, I just finished eating this for lunch today, and it was FANTASTIC!! Very filling, due to the whole what pitas, which I happened to have stashed in the freezer. Ate this with a fresh green salad. Wonderful meal!! Thanks for sharing this recipe! ~Manda
I loved these pita pizzas. I made three with different toppings (roasted red peppers; mozzarella and basil; salami and cheese) and it took less than 20 minutes to make 3.. I would suggest putting the pita directly on the oven rack and using a foil below to catch drippings. The result is a very thin crispy crust and it tastes like the gourmet oven crust pizzas!