Recipe by Sudie
This is pizza for grownups! From"Everyday Epicurean", which I got in a swap from Evie*! Next time I make it, I may add some feta cheese to the top. We had this on our honeymoon in Provence, where they served it with a bottled of herb-infused olive oil! Delish! This could be dinner, with a salad on the side, or an appetizer, cut in little squares.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces luke-warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb plain flour (4 c.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled,cored,seeded and chopped
- 8 artichoke hearts packed in oil, drained
- 12 kalamata olives
- additional thyme (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the warm water in a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over it.
- Leave until frothy.
- Add 4 tbsp.
- oil, then the flour.
- Mix well to combine, then knead briefly until smooth.
- Leave to rise, covered, in a lightly oiled bowl, until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and saute onion, garlic and thyme until golden.
- Stir in tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook until mixture is thick- about 5 min.
- Discard thyme sprig.
- Preheat pizza stone or metal baking sheet in oven at 500 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4" and transfer to peel/floured baking sheet.
- Spread tomato/onion mixture over the dough.
- Arrange anchovies and olives on top.
- Transfer to heated stone/sheet and bake for 15-20 min.
- ,until base is crisp.
- Garnish with additional thyme, serve at room temperature.