Recipe by Sue Lau
Great flavor with lots of vegetables.
Top Review by evewitch
This was a bit of a surprise to me. I didn't expect a cooked dressing, but it turned out well. A bit spicy from the pepper, oddly enough. My daughter loved it and I also enjoyed it, but the boys thought it was "too weird" to even try it. The vegetables retain their texture for a long time (well over a week, actually). I will probably make this again, since it is one of the rare ways I have enjoyed canned mixed vegetables (which I already have in the house and need to use up).
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can mixed vegetables
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Place mixed vegetables and kidney beans in a colander or strainer and rinse thoroughly; drain.
- Mix together mixed vegetables, kidney beans, celery, onion, and bell peppers in a large bowl.
- Heat sugar, vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cornstarch in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar and cornstarch dissolve; continue stirring until thickened; remove from heat.
- When dressing has cooled somewhat, toss with salad, mixing well.
- Chill well before serving.