Recipe by invictus
This is from the website thepioneerwoman.com and modified a bit. I left out the jalepeno all together but I would substitute green chilis if I wanted a tiny bit of heat. Your choice. We topped this with green chili taco sauce. YUM!
Top Review by Linky
Great brunch! I didn't fry the tortillas but used them as a wrap instead. Also, I browned a sliced link of chorizo and one of Trader Joe's chicken with jalapeno sausage to go into the wrap. I probably goofed up the whole concept, but it sure tasted good! Thanks!
- 4 corn tortillas
- canola oil, to fry tortillas
- 8 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 -2 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cup grated monterrey jack cheese or 1 cup Cotija cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs and half & half. Salt and pepper eggs, then set aside.
- Cut up tortillas into strips then dice. In a small skillet over medium heat, heat oil and fry until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onions and bell peppers and cook until starting to turn brown/black, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add in diced jalapenos and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low. When the heat has decreased, pour egg mixture into skillet. Stir gently to cook with the peppers, folding mixture very gently as it cooks. Add tomatoes and cilantro and heat through.
- Top with grated cheese at serving.