Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
My own recipe for hearty pinto beans and rice that I made for my grandson's 18th birthday.
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 tablespoons red chilies, honey (see recipe below)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sazon goya with coriander and annatto
- 2 cups chopped chorizo sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Soak beans with the quick soak method on the package.
- Drain and rinse well.
- Add all ingredients to a large stockpot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Beans should be tender, and the sauce should be thick.
- Serve with cooked long grain white rice.
- This could also be cooked in the crockpot.
- Red Chili Honey (Recipezaar # 8957 by Nick Suhadolnik):.
- 1 cup honey.
- 1 tbsp chili powder.
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin.
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt.
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and cook on low heat for 1 minute. Store unused portion in a glass jas in the refrigerator. A wonderful flavor addition!
Delish! Just as good after being frozen. I'll make this again, for sure!