Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
A new to me twist - no flour; just graham cracker crumbs; then baked in a loaf pan & topped with a pineapple glaze. Be sure to grease and flour the pan WELL as the cake tends to stick. I also found it easier to de-pan while the cake was hot and then pour on the glaze. I have made a lighter version, using apple butter for 1/2 the butter, Splenda granular for 1/2 the sugar & 1/4 cup of Egg Beaters in place of egg yolks. The result was just as good as the orignal.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat a 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray & lightly dust with flour.
- Cream butter and sugar till light & fluffy; add egg yolks and mix till incorporated.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs with baking powder and salt then add to butter/sugar mixture, alternating wth the milk.
- Stir in vanilla and nuts.
- Beat egg whites till they form stiff peaks; fold into cake batter.
- Pour into prepared pan & bake for 45-55 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of pan.
- While cake is baking, combine 1 cup sugar and the can of pineapple. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour on top of hot cake. Let stand 2 hours before serving.