Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe keeps for two weeks in the refrigerator. Use as an unusual brunch dish or as a first course. I prefer the Atlantic salmon. It is slightly fattier and more full-bodied in taste and texture than Pacific salmon. It also does not have a fishy smell as sometimes the Pacific salmon does. It is generally more expensive than the Pacific varieties.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon pickling spices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 lbs salmon steaks
- In a large non-aluminum saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the salmon.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Lower heat, add salmon to liquid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove salmon to a serving dish and strain liquid.
- Pour the strained liquid back over the salmon. Chill before serving. Serves 6 to 8.
- Impossible Pie.Recipes Compiled by Lucy Waverman for the Hospital for Sick Children Centre.