Recipe by mollypaul
Okra is the green vegetable that gives gumbo it's rich flavor. This recipe for pickled okra is uncomplicated and produces a tasty accompaniment for meats and poultry. If you live over 1000 feet in elevation, add five minutes of processing time. From an old newspaper clipping.
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons dill seeds
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
- 1 tablespoon salt (non-iodized)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (Tabasco or other Louisiana-style sauce preferred)
- 1 lb okra
- 2 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first six ingredients together in a large saucepan; bring to the boil and simmer for ten minutes.
- Cut stem ends off okra and place in sterilized 12 ounce jars.
- Add a garlic clove to each jar.
- Pour hot pickling solution over okra, leaving 1/2-inch head space (add additional vinegar if necessary).
- Adjust lids and process for ten minutes in a boiling water bath.