Recipe by sugarpea
I love these sweet and sour greens from Rozanne Gold, a favorite cookbook author. Choose your favorite green or use a combination. They need two days in the frig before using. These are especially good as a side for soup, particularly Smokey Red Beans, posted separately. Cook time includes refrigeration time.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
Unique and tasty. I have been snacking on this all week. Used two different kinds of kale, to make the texture interesting. Every once in a while I get a whole peppercorn in my mouth- it's like a pepper explosion, which I like. Next time I will probably cut back on the amount of sugar as it is a tad bit too sweet for my taste. Thanks for posting this!
- 453.59 g mustard greens, collard greens or 453.59 g kale
- 473.18 ml water
- 177.44 ml sugar or 7 packet Splenda sugar substitute
- 118.29 ml vinegar
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml black peppercorns
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and spin-dry the greens and chop; combine the water, sugar, vinegar, salt and peppercorns in a large pot; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the greens and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes; cool and pack in a 1 quart jar with a lid; refrigerate for 2 days before serving.